Peace be upon you reader(s)!
Many of us have been called names before. So far, in my nearly-eighteen years of living, I've never met a person who has been called by their full name. Like, a full four syllabus-ed name. Nobody has ever called me Siti Amirah during an ordinary conversation before :S
Some people I've met have weird nicknames, too. Names like Kiub (:P), Basbousa and Karat. I mean, come on, how can a 3 dimensional shape inspires you to call your friend? Basbousa? Isn't that.. a food? Don't let me start with Karat. Oh, need I mention what I'm known as?
My family calls me Amirah. Little cousins call me Kak Mira / Em (pronounced as empire Em, not emak Em). A few call me Siti. My junior school friends call me Mira. High school friends call me Mirer. Ami. Mii. Mimi. Mer. I got to admit, their creativity to produce lots of nicknames out of a name is quite brilliant :B BUT, I frankly don't really like that. Call me Mirer, what does it even mean? Amirah la, baru doa :) Or, worst case scenario is Siti. Or Mii.
These few years have got me thinking, if I were to name my son or daughter, one word with two syllabuses would be perfectly fine. Such as Iffah and Zharif. Their names are too short to be shorten some more, so people will finally call them by their FULL name, which also means that they will pray for them to be as how their names mean.
To sum everything up, calling names are like praying the best for them. If your name is like Amirah, don't simply allow people to call you Mirer. At least, something that is originally from your name. Ami for instance. Or, if you're the girly geli type, Ira. Just names that won't make people ask you, "Why Mirer? What does it even mean anyway?"
+_________________+
Regards,
Amzyami.

No comments:
Post a Comment